trying to navigate a cluttered mind / life

Friday, March 12, 2004

I'm so freaking disappointed right now. I had to concede defeat on two fronts today.

First, it became painfully obvious that I can no longer continue with school. I started the process of dropping out today. The thing that sucks about it (aside from the obvious repercussions of dropping out of school) is that, if they'd just let me take a session or two off, I wouldn't have had to quit. But the policies at this particular school seem to ignore the notion that working adults are attending classes (even though it's an internet-based degree program, targeted at working adults). Particularly annoying policies: students must make up "incompletes" within two weeks (as opposed to an entire 5-week session, which would correlate to a semester's worth of class in traditional university time); and the fact that students can't take a session or two away from classes -- in the event of life-changing events or distractions during their coursework, they're pretty much screwed.

The other thing I had to give up today is my website. Well, websites (plural), actually. This sucks, because I was really enjoying creating these communities. I had experienced a few setbacks, but they weren't that big, in the grand scheme of things. Still, I don't have the available time to deal with them, and I lack the required skills to make them work like they should. So, I've decided to try to sell them.

So, instead of pursuing something that really means a lot to me, I must clear time in my schedule to be able to focus on the really important things in my life: my family (which I already do), and my job (which I absolutely hate).

If only I had decided to do this sort of thing earlier in life, when I had the time.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger